Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Rachel - Hula Dance and Broken Trust (Jan 5, 2011)

This 5 hour time difference is really starting to catch up
to me! Today is Wednesday and I started my day off with
delicious breakfast while looking at Diamond Head volcano
right next to our hotel. Our first class of the day started
at 9:00am and we learned how to Hula. I thought the Hula
dance was what everyone pictures it to be; swinging your
arms back and forth while moving your hips. Boy, was I
wrong. It was a lot harder than I expected, but plenty of
fun. What I didn't know was each dance has it's own meaning
and they all tell a story. Our instructor, Vicky Takamine,
informed us that none of the dances and their chants have
been written down, but passed down orally for thousands of
years. It was so cool to watch myself in the mirror try to
master the dance. After Hula class, we went to the Gateway
Cafeteria for lunch where I ate the most fresh, juicy
pineapple I've ever had. At 1:00 we got the opportunity to
meet with the author of Broken Trust which is the the 2007
Book of the Year about the conflicts between Princess
Pauahi's vision of the trust and how the trustees today tore
it apart. The author, Randall Roth, was very interesting to
listen to. It seems as though the Bishop Estate changed
everything Princess Pauahi wanted, hence the title Broken
Trust. After the lecture, Patricia and I explored the
Hamilton Library because we were told it was very, very
big... and it is. This campus is a lot bigger than the
University of Hartford campus. Over all, today was filled
with lots of stories and history about the culture, politics
and economy of Hawaii dating back to thousands of years ago.
Tonight, I am forcing myself to try Sushi for the first
time ever. What better place to do it than in Hawaii,
right?

No comments: