Thursday, January 6, 2011

Emily - Jan 6, 2011

Today was my favorite day so far we went Pearl Harbor!!!
Being a history major I could not wait to see the U.S.S
Arizona, and everything else that was at Pearl Harbor.
After a short bus ride we finally made and it and of course
we had a photo shoot just outside the entrance. Before we
went in we were told we had very little time to see the
museums before we had to watch a short movie and then head
over to the Arizona. I tried to read everything that I
could while inside the museums but anything I did not have
time to read I took a picture of it. Tricia and I were
going a little crazy with taking pictures, later in the day
our cameras died. Then it was time for the movie.
Professor Bullard said the movie was very one sided and it
made America look like the good guys. I agree with him, the
footage that was in the movie was great but it was a very
"yay America look how good we are" movie. After that we got
on a boat and headed to the U.S.S. Arizona. On the monument
we could see the ship underneath and could both see and
smell the oil that is stilling coming up out of the ship.
After that was over we got back on the boat and it was time
to leave. I was a little disappointed and I felt that I had
not seen anything. So I got off the bus with Carol and we
went on the U.S.S. Bowfin Submarine. We then met up with
Tricia, Gabe, Rachel, and Professor Bullard. I was so happy
that I got off the bus and went back to see what else there
was. Not only did I get to see more exhibits but I also saw
a mongoose. I hope everyone had just as much fun as I did!!

1 comment:

Kweyah McLemore said...

I agree with Emily and Professor Bullard. The movie clip was biased and it made it seem like America were angels. What I don't think many people realizes is that in some type of way, America provoked Japan by cutting off the oil supply to the country. When America did that, it gave Japan more of a reason to want to bomb Pearl Harbor. I am not advocating for Japan, but I can sort of see both sides of the story. Oil is a resource that every country needs, therefore if I was a leader of a country and my oil supply was cut off, I would be furious, especially during a war.

The memorial in general was really sad to me. Just knowing that there were almost 1000 bodies still in the USS Arizona that were never recovered after the bombing is very sad. Another thing that also stood out to me in the movie clip that we saw was that, American Radar picked up Japan Aircraft flying in, but they thought it was their own men returning from someplace. To me, it brings up the question, "What would have happened if America was able to tell that it was Japan on the Radar? Would the catastrophe have been as bad, or would there even be a pearl harbor memorial?"