Saturday, January 15, 2011

Blog from Melanie on the Polynesian Cultural Center

Today was out last full day in Hawaii. I have to admit the feeling is deffinentlybittersweet. I'm excited to be going home soon, but sad to be leaving the memoriesbehind and the amazing weather. Most importantly, I'm glad that for our last day wewere able to spend it as a group at the Polynesian Cultural Center. We first arrivedthere at approximately 12 noon. I started my exploring by going to see Samoa andwatching as they cracked and husked coconuts, and climbed an actual coconut tree. Next, we went to Tonga. There we watched and learned the different sounds andrhythm styles of the drums. Soon after, we watched the Canoe Pageant where we wereable to see each island perform their native dances and see their accustomedoutfits. After, I went on the tour to the Morman temple which was big but really beautiful.After the short tour I saw Tahiti and New Zealand. Before I knew it, it was time fordinner. We ate and enjoyed a luau. The food was delicious and the entertainment madeit that much better. After dinner we walked around the marketplace and bought souvenirs. Our endingto the day was with the show "Ha: The Breath of Life." The show perfectlyexamplified each island and their colors and dances. My favorite part was the firedancers. Overall, although it was a long day, I felt it was the perfect ending to anamazing trip. One I will honestly NEVER forget.

No comments: