Sunday, January 9, 2011

Alexandria - Jan 7, 2011

So today we learned about Hawaiian Music and our instructor was Fred Lau. I thought
he was cool and very socialable (he talked a LOT). Lau spoke about the different
groups of people that migrated to the Hawaiian islands, such as the Chinese,
Japanese, Korean, Filipinos and the Portuguese. Then from each of these groups we
learned a little something about their music.

The Chinese has their own Cantonese Opera Dance, of which their are about 5 of these
groups in Chinatown.

The Japanese has the Koto...an important instrument to Japanese culture. Women need
to learn how to play the Koto if they want to marry into a good family. I actually
enjoyed listening to this form of music. I thought it was kinda
interesting...although it isn't something I would listen to on a regular.

However, a song that I can see myself listening to on a regular would be Over The
Rainbow. I really like that song...I think its one of those songs you would listen to
if you just want to hear something soft and relaxing.

No comments: