Thursday, January 13, 2011

Blog from Pedro

What a great day to start my day, with rain! While at breakfast the scenery was great because of the rain the view of the mountain looked like a shadow. When finished with breakfast a plant holding furniture came and almost hit Matt. It was hilarious because instead of Matt moving away he just sat there. Later, at twelve o’clock Gabe and I went to Zyppi’s for lunch. The prices of the restaurant were reasonable compared to some other restaurants in Hawaii. I was relieved because every time I went out to dinner I always complained to Matt and Gabe about how expensive Hawaii really is. After lunch, Dean Goldenberg took the group to the Iolani Palace. I have learned from Dean Goldenberg that some of the artifacts aren’t still found because they were sold during the invasion of Hawaii. Also, what I have learned is that Queen Kapiolani was imprisoned in that palace for eight months during the takeover of Hawaii. Iolani is a great place because they still have the wooden floors and the furniture. Thank You Dean Goldenberg for taking us to Iolani Palace!

1 comment:

Rachel's response said...

My morning started off like it always does, and I love how they start off. I woke up early and got breakfast. I ordered the portugese sausage, it's my favorite! After that, Tricia and I went to Hanauma Bay to go snorkeling!! It was raining so it was hard to see, and at first we were scared. But we decided to suck it up and try it. And I'm so glad we did because we got to see some really neat fish. I was hoping to see a turtle, and some people there said they did but by the time we swam out to it, it was gone. We were only in the water for a little over an hour because the rain started to come down really hard; plus we knew we had to be back in time to go to the Iolani Palace. The Iolani Palace was beautiful. It's incredible that we were able to say we've been there because it is the only royal palace on American soil. The inside is gorgeous. We weren't allowed to take any pictures of the inside, but I bought post cards just to show my family what it looks like. We also were not allowed to wear shoes in there to prevent foot prints so we had to wear these booties on our feet. I was amazed by the artifacts they recovered. Everything was beautiful, especially the jewelry. I could only imagine how much they would be worth today. After the Palace, Tricia and I were able to get to the beach while the sun was out. It's so nice just being able to walk such a short distance to get to the beach. It's so relaxing. For dinner, Tricia, Kweyah and Alexandria went to Red Lobster. I had such a good time with those girls, they're always making me laugh! I'm so sad to think that this trip is almost over. Even though it's raining for the next few days, I would rather be here than in 2 feet of snow back home!!