Friday, January 15, 2010

Javianna Silvers blog

 The Polynesian Cultural Center was the best part of the trip. I never learned about all the different islands in Polynesia.  Touring the center was such of a discovery.  I first visit the Samoa Village. The Samoian gender roles are different from the traditional American family. The men cook and the women do other duties such as weaving. I thought it will be interesting to ask a Samoian worker how he feels about his native culture. His name was Ailaho, and he informed me that Samoa was a third world country and there are little opportunities for work. I thought Samoa being a third world country was odd because it is now a territory of the United States. I never heard of a country connect to the United States being a third world country. However, in spite of his country's conditions, Ailaho plans on going back to Samoa when he retires. Nationalism was a big concept at the center, more than I ever seen. Every worker or student that I talked to is only here in the U.S. temporary and plans on returning back to their native lands. I think this could be a positive and negative situation. Positively, I think it is great that the students are getting opportunities to come to the U.S. to get educated and to diversify the schools. It brings some many cultures together and help students like me become more educated of the different nations of the world. On the contrary, these foreign students get full scholarships to work at the center and go to school when there are so many U.S. students that struggle to pay their tuition in their own country and now with the recession here it is harder than ever. I do not have a solution or disagree that foreign students shouldn't come to the U.S. It was just something I thought about because I am one of those students the struggle with tuition every year. Other than that I loved my experience here in Hawaii and can't wait to share my knowledge that I learned with other people

1 comment:

Ashley Merkman said...

I agree with you about the polynesian culture tour. It was the most exciting part of the trip. Trying the different types of Hawaiian foods was a big part of the trip. I also noticed a lot of nationalism there. The majority of the workers i talked to all planned to return to there home country. It can be a bad thing that these cultures don't like Hawaii or it could be a good thing but the big reason might revolve mostly around their families. Coming to get an education or to learn about their culture was a major reason why people came to Hawaii and work at the Polynesian cultural center.